Buying or investing in property is a big decision so you’ve got to ask yourself: “Why would I pick just any REALTOR®?”
Choosing a REALTOR® who will work hard for you means doing your homework and thinking strategically early in the selection process.
So how do you pick the right one for you? Is it a referral from friends or family? Do you pick a face from an ad out of the newspaper, off the internet or from a sign?
Finding the right sales person whom you’re comfortable with may take some time. Like shopping for any professional service, you will want to interview several. You’ll want to learn about their experience, track record, marketing style and their knowledge about the market and community in which you’re going to be investing.
Questions you will want to ask your prospective broker/agent include:
- Do you live in Milton?
- Are you registered with a local brokerage?
- How well do you know the community?
- How long have you been in the business?
- Are you a member of The Oakville, Milton and District Real Estate Board?
- Can you educate me on the process of a real transaction?
- What is your average list-to-sales-price ratio?
- How will your marketing plan meet my needs?
- Will you provide references?
- What separates you from your competition?
- Will I be able to review with you documents that I will be asked to sign?
- What is your commission?
- What level of service can I expect for this fee?
- What if I’m unhappy with the service?
- What haven’t I asked you that I need to know?
You should have a good idea early on in your conversation if the sales person is right for you.
A good REALTOR®
- Will be an expert on the local market
- Will be eager to help you find the right home.
- Will do their homework and will offer to find you the information you need to make your decision.
- Will keep in touch and get back to you in a timely manner.
- Will follow-up to see if you are interested in viewing more houses.
- Will ensure you are able to get a good look at every aspect of the property you are viewing.
- Will listen and address your comments and concerns, if they don’t have the answers, they will find them for you.
- You will want to find someone who isn’t just working for you but rather is working with you and to make you feel like you are a team.
It may take a few appointments to find the right REALTOR®, but you will have a much more positive experience during what can be a very stressful time for you and your family.